Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Amy Lignor - Until Next Time

So I've been busy, I lost an expensive contact which really upsets me.  I got in a car accident with my brand new car (this morning) and have been fighting on and off with my husband.  The only things going right are reading, school, and writing my book.  My best friend is supposed to be helping edit it but she's extremely busy so it's not getting done very quickly.

I'm not sure what to read next, I have Everneath by Claudia Gray which was free for Kindle.  I also have a couple of others that look okay.  I haven't made up my mind 100% yet.  I'll have something chosen by tonight though.

Anyways I just read a book called Until Next Time and to say the least, I'm most disappointed in the cover.  The book was written with grace and beauty and the cover doesn't live up to the class of the book in my opinion.  Also, I found the book to be so in depth that it was extremely confusing and I had to reread many parts to fully understand what was going on (and I'm not sure I even do)... BUT I still really want to read the sequel, now time for my review:

Until Next Time (The Angel Chronicles, #1)Until Next Time by Amy  Lignor

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This is the hardest review I've ever had to write.  I didn't quite fully grasp the entire book so it's hard to review.  I kept going back and forth between 3 and 4 stars.  What ultimately made up my mind is that this book is written with such beauty it's just amazing.  The cover in my opinion does not match the book in any way whatsoever.  In fact the cover would lead you to believe you are reading something much different and more dark than this story.



So anyways, the story is told in a style that's very confusing at first and I had to reread several paragraphs throughout the book and even the ending to fully grasp the story.  I'm not sure if it was just the way it was written but I read other reviews that summarize the story and if you read those it will help to explain any confusion you may have. 



The writing style is amazing, the way she puts you in heaven with the saints is absolutely stunning.  I loved the saints and archangels descriptions and the card games for candy bars, etc.  The way she chose to have many common sayings of today be things the saints said such as "Stop and smell the roses" and hoping the sayings would catch on someday in earth.  The parts of the story that were written in heaven were beautiful.  The parts of the story on earth were just as good and the descriptions were full of depth.  You felt there with the characters.  Martha, Anthony, Charles, Jason, Liz, Faith, and even Charles' parents and sister all had depth to them and you really got to know them.



I really enjoyed the characters of Faith and Liz the most.  I felt I didn't get to know Matt well enough I'm not sure if there was supposed to be a love triangle or not because she always made it clear Matt was her soulmate but she loved Jason?  I am still so confused on Matt and what is supposed to be going on with him.  You never really get to know Matt and hopefully book 2 will touch up on him.  I love books based in the past, so this was a real joy to read.  I thought it confusing that Emily/Liz are the same as well as Daniel/Matt.  I'm so beyond confused by the whole situation and the ending of this book that I'm actually looking forward to the next one to help clarify things for me that were unresolved. 



Even reading this review you can tell how confused I am.  It's a good read but it's just so full of depth it takes a lot to grasp in comparison to the fluff I've read lately.  :)



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment