Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Sleight- Jennifer Sommersby, Next Up Hallowed Cynthia Hand

 I finally finished Sleight, it felt like a really long book.  I'm not reading Hallowed the sequel to Unearthly by Cynthia Hand.  I'm excited about it, I've read the prologue and Chapter 1 so far... I'm scared to read it due to hearing someone dies.  :(  I'm team Tucker so far but I hear Christian gets in the way a lot in this one.

Anyways.  I am having problems with my kidneys so once I'm done with my homework for the week I should have plenty of time for reading!  :)  This is one I'll be anxious to finish quickly, and here is my review of Sleight, which is a good debut from Jennifer Sommersby, this is an Indie book.

Sleight (AVRA-K #1)Sleight by Jennifer Sommersby

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I keep going back and forth between 3 & 4 stars.  I would rate it a solid 3.5 if I could.  I stumbled upon this in a contest to rate book covers.  I voted for this one as most beautiful Indie cover amongst the ones in the contest and then read the information and thought the book sounded pretty good too.  I did enjoy the book but felt it was too long.  I found myself skimming and skipping pages that weren't necessary to the story.  I would say I skipped approximately 20 pages or so that I felt unnecessary and skimmed a few more than that.  It took me quite a while to get through this book.  That's why I gave it the lesser rating.

The book is full of quirky characters who work at the Cinzio Circus and are settling into a town to stay.  Gemma is your heroine.  Henry is a local boy, the hero.  There is magic and some action and blood and gore.  :)  There's happy and sad.

The parts that were good were amazing, for a first time author you can tell she LOVED her characters.  I really enjoyed the theme and the characters as well.  There weren't many plot twists, it was pretty straight forward which is fine.  The characters were likeable, Gemma was a sweet heroine and Henry was a hero that I found myself liking.  Gemma was soft hearted and a little bit weak but that's her character.  She was beginning to become stronger in herself the further the book came along.  Henry was a hero in every aspect of the word, saving the day in many ways.  I found him to be one of my favorite characters in the story.

There was a lot of sadness and many characters did die.  This is always sad.  The book did end on a cliffhanger.  I would read a sequel and am excited to see that this is titled "Book One" so hopefully that sequel is in the works!  I would say this is solid work and it can only get better from here.  I did even take time to read the acknowledgements in the back which is something I rarely do and found that I liked the author even more after doing so.

I give it a solid 3.5 and for the price recommend that everyone read it.  You can't beat a $2.99 e-read.  :)  Thanks for a great first book, looking forward to the sequel!!! 



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment