Monday, January 9, 2012

Finally - Hex Hall was EXCELLENT!

Hex Hall was so good!  I have other books on my kindle I've bought to read as well as a couple of hard copy books I've bought to read but what did I do, I bought book 2 in the Hex Hall series on my Kindle to start reading instead...  Gotta stick with it, guess you can add book 3 in that series to my 2012 to read list.  Today I'll be busy, attempting to make Manicotti for the second time in my life and reading Demonglass as well as taking care of the kiddos, one of which is teething horribly, so that should be fun.  I need to get on my reading to stick with my goals for 2012, I have CC Hunter in my Kindle ready to be read in my Kindle, hope those are good, and then I still have Betrayed by Ednah Walters, and some others I can't even recall the names of.  Oh yeah and school started today!  Woo hoo!

Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I loved this book, there was so much going on that the book flowed together well and quickly.  It took me a few days to have the time to really get into it but once I did I finished it in 2 sittings.  I write a lot of reviews but I don't like to include spoilers as I feel they ruin the book for future readers.

The book was about our heroine Sophie who is a young with sent to Hecate due to a love spell gone terribly wrong for a friend.  Hecate is a school for Prodigum who are faeries, witches, warlocks, shape-shifters, etc...  But screw-up Prodigum get sent to Hecate.  Sophie was a fun female lead, she was very normal, she cried when crappy things happened, she wasn't a total kick butt heroine and she wasn't a total wuss.  She had a crush on the hot kid in school (who hasn't?) that was dating the mean girl.  She got teased and treated badly by students and staff together.  Also, there is no real "hero" or "boyfriend" character in this book.  Which is different than most YA paranormals.  Don't let that scare you off though, there is plenty of crush stuff going on to keep your romantic side happy.

My favorite part of this book was that the action started at the beginning and continued throughout the entire book.  It's a face paced book.  You can easily read through it quickly.  It wasn't gory or R rated and gross.  It was just action packed.  There were also so many twists because as I always say, there's nothing worse than solving an entire plot in the first few chapters of a book.  I was left on my toes shocked by plot twists up til the very last page.  Very good, I'll be reading the sequel and plan on trying to start that today.

I debated between 4 & 5 stars, I would give this a 4.5 so I rounded this one up due to the fact I was up until almost 2 reading it and then got up at 7 and finished it.  Excellent book.  Can't wait to see what happens with Sophie next.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment