Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Selection - Kiera Cass

I hate hate hate writing negative reviews but this was a 2 star book for me:

The Selection (The Selection, #1)The Selection by Kiera Cass

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


So I hate that I read some reviews before reading the book.  Most are really negative which put me in more of a judgmental state or noticing things I normally wouldn't have in the book.  Someone noted that the castes in the bottom level were homeless then a few paragraphs later it talks about some of them having TVs... something I would've overlooked had I not read the review.


Everyone said this is the Bachelor meets the Hunger Games.  I do see that.  The book is like an entire season of the Bachelor only it ends without the final girl getting her rose.  So on a cliffhanger.  This book easily could've been one instead of a series.  The Hunger Games aspect would be Gavril = Cesar, the selection = the games, the castes were similar to the tributes homes/numbers. 

I liked the scenario and the cover and the book had amazing premise.  I really wanted to love the book.  I found myself having a hard time liking any of the characters or feeling any connection to them.  America, Aspen, Maxon, and Marlee were all dull to me.  Even the protagonist Celeste.  There was no depth to any character except for May.  Most had silly names and I felt that this shouldn't have been a dystopian it could've easily been just a book based in the past.  The dystopian didn't fit well and neither did the few rebel attacks.

I'm so torn on this, I hate giving negative reviews and feel I will read the next one just to see who gets selected and what America chooses.  I'm just glad to be done with this book.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment